Joining our testnet
Joining the Nym testnet with a mixnode is easy.
Once you’ve downloaded or compiled your mixnode according to the installation instructions, set it up on an internet-addressable server machine. It will automatically join our testnet.
- Processor: 2 or 4 cores are fine. Get the fastest CPUs you can afford.
- RAM: Memory requirements are very low - typically a mixnode may use only a few hundred MB of RAM.
- Disks: The mixnodes require no disk space beyond a few bytes for the configuration files
For the moment, we haven’t put a great amount of thought into optimizing concurrency to increase throughput. So don’t bother provisioning a beastly server with many cores. This will change when we get a chance to start doing performance optimizations in a more serious way. Later, once we’ve optimized, you will want the most cores you can get.
- ensure that your node is available and announces the right address, especially if you’re using a cloud service like AWS. See the AWS note on the mixnodes configuration page.
- make sure that your machine speaks both IPv4 and IPv6, even if you don’t plan to use IPv6 yourself. Other node operators who you may be interacting with may by using IPv6.